Thursday, January 15, 2009

Guest Post On HerKind

Well, it's 12:30p.m. and I'm typing this as I watch people chit chat and connect in my favourite coffee shop The Darkhorse, in Toronto. I hear through the grapevine that their coffee is from Intelligentsia in Chicago. Certainly it's great coffee, and sadly something I will be giving up in a few short days as I am participating in an exciting new fitness programme a colleague, Cherilee Garofano, has developed called Fuze Fitness. So, those of you who are fellow lovers of the bean, please empathize. The last time I gave up coffee, (and I only drink two cups a day), I had a hard time.

But, I digress. This week I was asked by another colleague and friend to 'guest post' on her blog HerKind. Carla Lucchetta, HerKind's creator and author has asked me to post on all things male; a subject dear to my heart. So, please visit the site. My first post as a guest is all about what boys need to successfully mature into men and, why women cannot 'father' boys towards manhood. Manhood requires men to be involved, engaged. My GuyTalk co-host Owen Williams, recently admitted to me that he is afraid of teenage boys - that in some scenarios they give off a dangerous energy, that is un-predictable.

Having been one of those 'lost boys,' equally afraid and un-predictable, angry and disappointed, lonely and insecure in belonging - I imagine I was frightening to many adults. Shame. I really needed a hand held out to me - someone to see through the emotional distress and powerful enough to bring me in from the cold.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dale,
Thanks for guest blogging. I look forward to more.

I certainly wish you well with kicking coffee... I could NOT do it!

Re: lost boys whom mother's cannot father. I fear that some women take exception to that notion. But you are very right. I've done much research on fatherless boys and men and while I do understand the knee-jerk reaction of a mother esp. if she is dealing with a reticent father. Still, I maintain that the father/son relationship is very specific and important. Despite the changing times, men still carry a great deal of responsibility in this world, esp. in more male-centred cultures. Balance is of the utmost importance in life and relationships and even if a boy has other male role models, none takes the place of mirroring so necessary between a father and his son. Controversial I know, but true.

Those are my coffee provoked thoughts.

Thanks again,
C